Immersive Music Visualisation
An individual visual experience in a cylindrical projection
To summarise my project, my idea is to create audio-reacting visuals, to display in a cylinder for an individual audience. I will be basing my idea around the theme of cymatics and bringing particles to life, with the theories of immersion and escapism at the forefront of the project. I will experiment with different genres of music, to gain insight into the different ways in which they can be visualised, and I intend to build on my skills of simulating 360˚ audio in Adobe Audition, to be able to edit an entire song so it seems as though it is surrounding the listener. I will learn as much of the Trapcode suite as I possibly can, so I am aware of all of the possibilities that can be created using After Effects. My research into other artists projects such as Projection Artworks, and groups like Analema will continue, to see if they give me further inspiration throughout my project.
As my work will follow an iterative process, I will continually learn and build from any feedback and evaluation on my work, until I reach my final goal of creating an immersive music visualisation experience.
Throughout this unit in our seminars, we have been talking and discussing our ideas within the group. Each week everyone would be given the chance to give constructive feedback and input into the project ideas of others. One of the comments I had on my idea was that I could think about music visualisation for people with hearing impairments – although I hadn’t specifically thought about making the project for people with impaired hearing, the project lends it to this way anyway. I am wanting the visuals to represent the music very closely, so I am hoping that even without listening to the music, it will be apparent what type of music is playing.
I was able to give feedback on other people’s work, and I like to think that my comments have helped other people’s work. For example, Alex Sisan (BoozeBible) pitched that he was going to have a search function in his app, this search function would show the closest pubs/bars to the user. My feedback was to make the search function more of a ‘filter’ system where the user could select the types of venue they were wanting to go to, and it would filter out anything that was not relevant. I suggested this because there was already a location based element to the app, so I did not think there needed to be two sections that included location.
In Semester 2 for the Graduate Project, I plan on collaborating with many different people, predominantly music artists and producers. I intend to get in contact with numerous artists and producers to ask for their permission to use their music in my project, I will also ask if they would like to have any contribution to how the visuals would look/how they feel their music should be portrayed visually. I think this could be very interesting to see how my views may differ from their views as it is their own music and chances are that they will have a pre-created image in their minds of how they see the music visually.
Here I did a small experiment on myself – I thought it would be a good idea to see what patterns I draw when I listen to genres of music, as this could help with my design process in regards to what visuals best suit which song/genre.
The first doodle is of a classical, instrumental song. I felt like the song was very flowing, however each change of note or chord made me draw a change of direction or new ‘squiggle’. I can imaging the visuals for this being very smooth and possibly long lines rather than shapes with any sharp corners.
The second doodle is of a modern rock song, it started off similar to the classical song but a strong beat was introduced, hence the peaks in the drawing. This was just for the intro part, when the chorus kicked in it became a faster, quicker beat. For this, I can imagine the visuals to look more like an abstract equaliser, so display these fast beats.
The final doodle is of a drum and bass song. It had a very long, slow intro (from the middle outwards) in which I drew a steady spiral. An individual beat was then introduced (triangle area), until the main drop happened where the spikes were then continuous for a while. For this, I can imagine something pulsing when the beat kicks in, then cutting to something a lot calmer when the song returns back to the low BPM sections.