Hanging of Cylinder – 1st Iteration

Once the flooring was all cut to size, we set up the cylinder to test at home. We have wooden beams running through our family room, so we were able to set it up by attaching string to the D-rings on the cylinder, and tie them around the beams and other attachments within the house. We were able to get the cylinder quite taut and was able to test a projection onto it:

We then dissembled it to take it to uni to set up in the space I had been allocated for rehearsing. When we got there, the ceiling was a lot higher than i’d thought, and there wasn’t many things on the walls/surrounding areas to attach it to, other than a hook for a projector in the middle of the ceiling. We went off and purchased a carabina clip, so that we could attach string to all of the D-rings, and collect them together around the clip, and then hook this to the ceiling. However, when we did this, the fibreglass rods we were using were bending in strange places and we could not get the fabric taut:

We realised this was to do with the physics of optimum height/width for hanging, as well as the fibreglass rods being too flexible. Again, we dissembled the cylinder and I am going to try making it with more sturdy rods/metal instead.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s